Victims of Crime Assistance 


Have you been the recent victim of a violent crime in Victoria?











If so, you may be eligible to receive compensation from the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT) to assist you in recovering from a crime by providing financial assistance for any expenses you have incurred, or are likely to incur, as a direct result of the crime.  We can help you apply free of charge.

You may be eligible to receive grants of assistance such as:


  • counselling costs

  • medical expenses (e.g. ambulance fees)

  • lump sum payment in recognition of the harm you have suffered (special financial assistance)

  • funeral costs

  • the costs of replacing damaged clothing

  • lost earnings up to $20,000.00

  • safety related expenses (e.g. relocation costs, security cameras)

Am I eligible? 

You may be eligible if you fall into the falling categories:


  • You are the victim and have been directly injured as the result of a violent crime (e.g. domestic violence)

  • You have suffered either a physical or a psychological injury.

  • The crime was reported to the police and you made a police statement.

  • The crime was committed in the last two years in Victoria.

    You are related to a victim of crime occurring in Victoria, or you have been in an intimate personal relationship with them.

How do I apply?

At Rigby & Bear, we can provide you with advice about whether you are likely to be eligible. If we determine you are eligible, we can make an application on your behalf to the Tribunal. 

How much does it cost?

The State Government of Victoria will cover all your legal expenses to make an application, so you do not have to pay anything regardless of the application's outcome.

I would like to apply. What should I do now?

If you think you fall into any the above categories, please leave us a message by clicking here.


A member of our team will then give you a call within 48 hours to discuss further.